Cool cucumber cups are filled with creamy crab in these scrumptious Low FODMAP Cucumber Bites with Crab.
Another appetizer recipe today! These Low FODMAP Cucumber Bites with Crab are a delicious addition to any party spread. Cool cucumber cups are filled with a light and creamy crab mixture with just a tiny kick of spice thanks to a little hot sauce. Garnish with paprika for an added touch of color.
Low FODMAP notes
In this section, I share information for certain ingredients that are either frequently asked about or that have suggested serving sizes to remain low FODMAP. We each have unique tolerance levels and nutritional needs. Please listen to your body (and if possible, work with a FODMAP-trained dietitian) to determine what is best for you. For more low FODMAP serving size info, please refer to the Monash FODMAP app and FODMAP Friendly website or app.
Cucumbers are a FODMAP-free food. Enjoy according to your appetite.
Mayonnaise is low FODMAP in servings of 2 tablespoons or 40 grams. Double-check ingredients and choose products without high FODMAP ingredients like onion or garlic.
Paprika and smoked paprika have been tested and are low FODMAP in servings up to 1 teaspoon.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- ¼ cup mayonnaise made with low FODMAP ingredients (like Hellmann’s)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce made with low FODMAP ingredients (like Tabasco® Brand Original Red Sauce)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 (6-ounce) can lump crab meat (like Crown Prince), drained // about 4 ounces drained
- Ground paprika, for garnish
- Peel cucumbers, if desired. Slice into 12 (approximately ¾-inch thick) pieces. Using a spoon or small scoop, gently scoop out some of the center seeds, leaving the base intact, to create cucumber cups.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, chives, hot sauce, sugar, and salt. Adjust flavor by adding more hot sauce, sugar, or salt to your liking.
- Add the crab meat. Stir to mix.
- Spoon crab mixture into the cucumber cups, dividing evenly.
- Sprinkle a small pinch of paprika over each of the cucumber bites.
- Serve. Or, refrigerate for 1-2 hours and serve chilled.
Make-Ahead: The crab mixture (mayonnaise through crab – steps 2 & 3) can be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container. Prepare the cucumber cups (step 1) and assemble (steps 4-6) right before serving.
Storage: Not recommended. Prepared bites are best enjoyed within a few hours of preparation.
Low FODMAP Serving: One serving of this recipe (3 bites) is made with low FODMAP amounts of ingredients. Individual tolerance may vary. For more information on specific ingredients, please refer to the Monash FODMAP App or check out the “FODMAP Notes” section (above the recipe).
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Snack, seafood, canned crabmeat,