These Low FODMAP Flourless Chocolate Mini Cakes are deliciously decadent and made with just 6 simple ingredients. They’re also gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly.
WHY CHOCOLATE MINI CAKES?
Because they’re personal-sized portions of buttery, sugary, chocolatey goodness. 😀
And life is too short not to enjoy personal-sized portions of buttery, sugary, chocolatey goodness …
every once in a while. 😉
In all seriousness, I do believe it’s important to fuel our bodies with health-promoting foods (that are tolerated) most of the time. But, I also believe that there’s plenty of room in a healthy, balanced lifestyle for [insert favorite dessert here] when enjoyed in moderation.
Aside from being deliciously decadent, these mini low FODMAP chocolate tortes call for just six ingredients and take about 30 minutes to make.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
As mentioned above, this Low FODMAP Flourless Chocolate Mini Cakes recipe calls for six simple ingredients, many of which may already be in your kitchen. The ingredients include:
- Dark chocolate chips – I use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate chips which happen to be certified low FODMAP by the FODMAP Friendly Food Program.
- Unsalted butter
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
IS DARK CHOCOLATE LOW FODMAP?
Both generic dark chocolate and 85% dark chocolate have been tested by Monash University and have low FODMAP serving sizes. Based on the information provided by Monash, most people should tolerate servings of 30 grams (approximately 1 ounce).
With that said, some dark chocolate products contain milk meaning larger servings may contain enough lactose to trigger IBS symptoms in some individuals. I used Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips which are certified low FODMAP by the FODMAP Friendly Food Program and happen to be dairy-free
Although not a FODMAP, higher fat foods can sometimes be an IBS trigger for some people. As these tortes are relatively higher in fats, you may want to limit or avoid if you suspect you’re one of the folks falling into this camp.Print
Low FODMAP Flourless Chocolate Mini Cakes – deliciously decadent sweet treats that are pre-portioned and made with just 6 simple ingredients.
- 4 oz. (about ⅔ cup) dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips)
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar
- Sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place dark chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is just melted. Remove from microwave and stir the mixture until it’s smooth. Add sugar and stir until mixed. Let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- After a couple of minutes, add eggs and stir until well mixed. Add vanilla and salt. Continue to stir until mixture thickens and turns a bit glossy.
- Divide mixture into greased muffin tins. Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The tortes will expand in the oven and then condense as they cool. I suggest letting them cool 10 minutes or longer before removing from muffin tins.
- Serve dusted with optional powdered sugar and topped with optional sliced strawberries.
Serving Size: The serving size suggestion is 1 torte and was set based on the nutrition facts. [I am a dietitian after all :)] From a FODMAP standpoint, most people should tolerate two.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low FODMAP, dark chocolate, vegetarian, flourless, gluten free