This fresh Low FODMAP Salsa is delicious and refreshing – no FODMAP-containing garlic or onion needed!
Most salsa recipes include the infamous onion or garlic – FODMAP-containing foods that many people with IBS tend to find problematic. 🙁
But, have no fear! This Low FODMAP Salsa recipe is light, refreshing, crunchy, and delicious without high-FODMAP offenders. Enjoy!
To make this homemade fresh salsa, add these ingredients to your shopping list:
- Roma tomatoes – 4 medium
- English cucumber – ⅓ medium
- Green bell pepper – ½ medium
- Red bell pepper – ½ medium
- Jalapeño – ½ to 1 medium
- Fresh chives – 2 tablespoons snipped
- Fresh cilantro – 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- Limes – about 2 (to yield 4 tablespoons juice)
Low FODMAP notes
In this section, I share information for certain ingredients that are either frequently asked about or that have suggested serving sizes to remain low FODMAP. We each have unique tolerance levels and nutritional needs. Please listen to your body (and if possible, work with a FODMAP-trained dietitian) to determine what is best for you. For more low FODMAP serving size info, please refer to the Monash FODMAP app and FODMAP Friendly website or app.
Chives are a FODMAP-free ingredient. They are usually used as a garnish and can add a subtle FODMAP-friendly garlic flavor to dishes.
Cucumbers are a FODMAP-free food. Enjoy according to your appetite.
Green bell pepper is low FODMAP in ½ cup or 52-gram servings. Larger servings contain higher amounts of sorbitol.
Green chili peppers have been tested and are low FODMAP. Chili peppers contain capsaicin which can be a non-FODMAP trigger for some people. Avoid if you suspect spicy food is an issue.
Lime juice is low FODMAP in servings up to 1 cup or 250 grams.
Red bell pepper is a FODMAP free food. Peppers and chili peppers contain capsaicin which can be a non-FODMAP trigger for some people. Avoid if you suspect spicy food is an issue.
Roma tomatoes can be low FODMAP depending on the serving size. The low FODMAP serving size is one “small” Roma tomato or 75 grams. Large servings contain higher amounts of fructans.
This Low FODMAP Salsa is delicious and refreshing – no FODMAP-containing garlic or onion needed!
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and finely diced
- ⅓ medium English cucumber, finely diced
- ½ medium green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and diced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and diced
- ½ to 1 medium jalapeno, stem and seeds removed and minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Serve chilled with corn tortilla chips.
- Category: Condiment
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired