Low FODMAP Instant Pot Whole Chicken is a quick and easy way to cook an entire chicken with the added bonus of creating low FODMAP chicken broth in the process.
Who else is an Instant Pot convert? I first heard about the Instant Pot several years ago, but refused to buy one. I didn’t want another kitchen gadget that would likely just sit and collect dust.
That was my thought process … until I bought an Instant Pot. I invested in an Instant Pot earlier this year and now that I’ve gotten the hang of it (it can be a little intimidating at first), I love it and use it almost as much as my slow cooker.
Although I enjoy the simplicity of being able to create complete meals, like my Low FODMAP Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore, in the Instant Pot, I really like being able to save time on cooking more basic items that can be used throughout the week like hard-boiled eggs or today’s Low FODMAP Instant Pot Whole Chicken.
Whole chickens tend to be more affordable than chicken breasts or even chicken thighs. And, I like that leftover chicken can be used in a variety of dishes. Prior to my Instant Pot purchase, I had been making my Low FODMAP Lemon Roasted Chicken on a regular basis. Recently, I’ve converted to this recipe because there’s the added bonus of a little bit of low FODMAP chicken broth being created in the process!
More often than not, I will serve this chicken with simple sides like:
- Steamed green beans – A low FODMAP serving is 12 beans or 86 grams.
- Steamed broccoli – A low FODMAP serving is 1 cup or 90 grams
- Baked potato – A low FODMAP serving is 1 medium or 122 grams.
- Sweet potato – A low FODMAP serving is 1/2 cup or 70 grams.
- 2 Tbsp. garlic-infused olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 (4 lb.) whole chicken
- 2 cups water
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 Tbsp. olive oil, paprika, thyme, and salt. Rub seasoning all over outside of chicken.
- Press “Saute” setting on Instant Pot. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Once hot, add chicken, breast side down and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip chicken and add water. Place lid on top of Instant Pot and secure. Set vent to “Sealing”.
- Select the “Meat” setting on the Instant Pot. Adjust time to 25 minutes on “High Pressure” and cook. After cooking, let the pressure naturally release. Remove lid.
- Remove chicken, let sit for 5 minutes and carve. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chicken, Whole Chicken,