Low FODMAP Lemon Chicken and Rice is a cozy main dish flavored with Italian herbs and fresh lemon juice. This easy supper recipe is made with just seven ingredients in about 30 minutes – great for a busy weeknight! Pair this one-skillet dish with a simple lettuce salad or low FODMAP serving of steamed green beans.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups low FODMAP chicken or vegetable broth // note 1
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons low FODMAP Italian seasoning // note 2
- 1–2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (with a cover) over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and sear for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove chicken from the pan.
- To the now-empty pan, add the uncooked white rice, chicken broth, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. If the chicken broth you are using is unsalted, add ½ teaspoons salt. Stir to mix. Return the chicken to the pan, placing it on top of the rice mixture.
- Cover the skillet and bring it to a brief boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low or the temperature-setting that maintains a steady, gentle simmer. Try to use the lowest setting while maintaining a simmer to help prevent sticking or burning. Cook for 15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed into the rice, and the chicken is completely cooked. The USDA considers chicken to be fully cooked when a food thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165°F. Remove from heat and adjust flavor with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve the chicken and rice warm topped with optional parsley.
Note 1: I used 2 teaspoons Fody Low FODMAP Veggie Soup Base and 2 cups water.
Note 2: Choose an Italian seasoning blend that does not contain garlic powder. Examples: Walmart’s Great Value Italian Seasoning or Simply Organic’s Italian Seasoning. Or, make a homemade Italian seasoning blend.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Supper, Skillet Meal
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean-Inspired
Keywords: low FODMAP chicken recipe, low FODMAP supper recipe, low FODMAP skillet meal