Easy and cheesy Low FODMAP Tex-Mex Turkey and Brown Rice Bake uses just 8 ingredients and can be ready in about 30 minutes. Serve with a side of low FODMAP fruit for a simple supper that covers all five food groups.
2 cups cooked brown rice // I like to use Birdseye Steamfresh Frozen Brown Rice
2 tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
1 (20-ounce) package lean ground turkey
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (4-ounce) can chopped mild green chiles, drained
2 teaspoons low FODMAP taco seasoning // see notes for alternative
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 to 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (or 1 cup dairy-free cheddar-style shreds)
Optional garnishes: Sliced green onion tops (green parts only), chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9” x 9” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- If not already cooked, prepare the brown rice according to package instructions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic-infused oil and ground turkey. Cook the turkey, breaking into crumbles, until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cooked brown rice, diced tomatoes, green chiles, low FODMAP taco seasoning, and cumin. Stir to mix. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly on top. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for 18-20 minutes or until the rice mixture is warm and bubbling. Remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty. Remove from the oven and cool for several minutes.
- Serve warm topped with optional sliced green onion tops (green parts only) and fresh cilantro.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for use within 3 to 4 days.
Low FODMAP Serving: One serving of this recipe is made with low FODMAP amounts of ingredients. Individual tolerance may vary. For more information on specific ingredients, please refer to the Monash FODMAP App or check out the “FODMAP Notes” section (above the recipe).
No Taco Seasoning? Substitute 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika and ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt. I’d suggest starting with ¼ teaspoon salt if you add salt when preparing the brown rice, or if you prefer less sodium.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop, Baking
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: Supper, casserole, hot dish, taco bake