Classic Italian spices, like oregano, rosemary, and thyme add tons of flavor to this easy, whole grain Low FODMAP Pizza Popcorn – great for a tasty snack!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- Place olive oil and 2 to 3 popcorn kernels in a medium saucepan (with cover) over medium heat. Cover and wait until the popcorn kernels pop, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the popcorn kernels pop, remove the saucepan from the heat. Using tongs, carefully remove the popped kernels from the heated oil. These few test kernels are used to help us find the right oil temperature. Pour in the remaining popcorn kernels and slightly rotate the saucepan to spread the kernels into a single layer. Cover, and wait 30 seconds to let the oil cool down slightly.
- Return the covered saucepan to medium heat. Cook, occasionally moving the covered saucepan back and forth to help evenly heat the popcorn kernels, until the kernels start to pop. Once the popcorn is popping, slightly vent the lid to release steam. Continue cooking until popping slows to about every few seconds, then turn off the heat, remove the cover, and transfer the popped popcorn to a food storage container (with a lid).
- In a small bowl, mix together nutritional yeast, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried basil, salt and optional red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle herb blend over the popped popcorn. Place the lid on the container and shake to coat the popcorn.
- Serve right after preparing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American