This 9-ingredient Low FODMAP Chicken Cacciatore features tender, juicy chicken and a savory, tomato-olive sauce. Enjoy this easy recipe with mashed potatoes, rice, or whole-grain polenta.
- ¼ cup garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds chicken thighs (can use bone-in or boneless)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced into ½ inch rounds
- ½ medium red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup dry white wine (or low FODMAP broth)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can plain crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ⅓ cup halved kalamata olives
Optional garnishes: Thinly sliced fresh basil or chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot, sear each side for about 2 minutes.
- Add carrot, bell pepper, white wine, tomatoes, and oregano. Stir and bring to a brief boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Cooking time will vary depending if boneless or bone-in chicken is used. Chicken is done when a food thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165°F.
- Stir in capers and kalamata olives and continue heating until everything is warm.
- Serve warm with optional garnishes of basil or parsley.
Low FODMAP Serving: One serving of this recipe uses low FODMAP amounts of ingredients. Please refer to the blog post or the Monash FODMAP app for more information on specific ingredients.
Recipe Update (3/2022) – Monash University retested red bell pepper. It is no longer considered a FODMAP-free food. To err on the side of caution, the amount of red bell pepper was decreased from 1 medium to ½ medium in this recipe. If you previously tolerated the larger serving size, please continue to eat according to your unique tolerance level.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: low FODMAP chicken, skillet, dairy free, entree,