This Low FODMAP Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes and Chicken is a simple, yet fancy-feeling supper made with just 8 ingredients in about 40 minutes. It features whole-grain brown rice spaghetti, burst cherry tomatoes, and skillet-fried chicken breast tossed in a white wine, butter, and basil sauce.
- 6 ounces brown rice spaghetti
- 4 small chicken breasts (or 2 larger chicken breasts cut in half butterfly-style to yield 4 pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ¾ cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 20 (or up to 300 grams) cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (I like Litehouse Freeze Dried Basil)
Optional garnish: Thinly sliced fresh basil
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Turn off the heat. Carefully reserve ¼ cup pasta water and set aside for later. Drain the cooked spaghetti and return the pasta to the pot. Toss with a bit of olive oil to help prevent the spaghetti from sticking.
- Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet (with a lid) over medium to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken, cover, and cook for 5 minutes without disturbing. Flip, re-cover, and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until fully cooked. Chicken is considered fully cooked when a food thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165°F. Transfer cooked chicken to a clean cutting board to cool slightly. Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces. I like to do this while the tomatoes are simmering.
- To the now-empty skillet, add the wine and cherry tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes start to soften. Using a fork or flat-edged spatula, carefully burst the tomatoes. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the butter, garlic-infused olive oil, dried basil, and ¼ cup reserved pasta water to the tomato-wine sauce. Continue to cook until the butter has melted and the sauce thickens slightly. Turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and cooked spaghetti to the sauce. Toss to mix.
- Serve warm topped with an optional sprinkle of thinly sliced basil.
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freezing is not recommended.
Low FODMAP Serving: One serving of this recipe is made with low FODMAP amounts of ingredients. Individual tolerance may vary. For more information on specific ingredients, please refer to the Monash FODMAP App or check out the “FODMAP Notes” section (above the recipe).
Dried Basil: Dried herbs lose flavor over time. For maximum flavor, use dried basil that has been purchased within the last 6 months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Italian-inspired
Keywords: low FODMAP pasta, supper, chicken pasta