This easy 7-ingredient Low FODMAP Shakshuka is a quick vegetarian skillet meal featuring eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce with red bell pepper and leek leaves. Make it in 20 minutes with the help of Fody’s Low FODMAP Arrabbiata.
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped leek leaves (dark green parts only)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 2 cups Fody Foods Low FODMAP Arrabbiata Sauce (about 1 jar)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown (or white) rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil, leek leaves (dark green parts only), and red bell pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper pieces are fork-tender and the leek leaves are bright green, soft, and fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the low FODMAP arrabbiata and ground cumin. Heat until the sauce is just about to boil.
- Mentally divide the skillet into quarters. In one quarter, create a well with a spatula. Carefully crack an egg into the well. To help prevent shell fragments, you may want to crack the egg into a small bowl before pouring it into the well. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are cooked to your preference. I usually cook until the egg whites have turned an opaque white, and the yolks are still soft with just a little jiggle when I shake the skillet. If you prefer more fully-cooked yolks, continue to cook until there is little to no jiggle. The eggs will continue to cook a little after removing from heat.
- Serve warm over cooked rice topped with optional fresh parsley and feta cheese.
Storage: This recipe is best served right after preparing. The eggs will continue to cook, and may overcook if reheated.
Feta Cheese: A low FODMAP serving of feta cheese is 3 tablespoons or 40 grams.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern-Inspired
Keywords: breakfast, supper, skillet meal, vegetarian, eggs, arrabiata sauce