Plant-based and scrumptious, this Low FODMAP Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce is packed with flavor and veggies.
- 4 cups cooked low FODMAP pasta
- 1 (15 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained (or 2 cups freshly roasted red bell peppers)
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp. garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened low FODMAP milk (I like almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese)
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh basil chiffonade
- Red pepper flakes
- Nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese)
- Optional: If using freshly roasted red peppers, start with the next section of instructions before moving to the pasta step.
- Cook low FODMAP pasta according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and toss with a little olive oil. Set aside.
- Place roasted red peppers, pumpkin puree, olive oil, milk, tapioca starch, basil leaves, and nutritional yeast into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Once sauce reaches a simmer, reduce heat and continue to stir until it just slightly thickens. Add pasta and toss to mix. Season with salt to taste and serve warm topped with optional garnishes.
For freshly roasted red bell peppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the peppers cut side down and roast for 20-25 minutes or until skins are wrinkled and slightly charred.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before placing in a bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit until peppers are cool to touch.
- After cooling, remove peppers from bowl. Peel off the skins, discarding them, and set aside.
Gluten-Free Pasta: A low FODMAP serving is 1 cup (or 145 grams) cooked pasta. Not all gluten-free products are created equal. Check labels and choose products with low FODMAP ingredients.
Red Bell Peppers: Red bell peppers have no detected FODMAPs. Peppers do contain capsaicin which is a naturally-occurring compound that may be a non-FODMAP IBS trigger for some.
Roasted Red Peppers have not yet been tested by Monash. As an alternative, you may use freshly roasted red bell peppers (instructions included above).
Keywords: low FODMAP, gluten free pasta, plant-based,