These Low FODMAP Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are just like the classic cookie recipe made with a couple of simple substitutions to help keep FODMAPs in check.
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Flour (in the blue bag)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels (or dark chocolate chips)
- About an hour before you want to make these cookies, take the butter out of the refrigerator to soften. If you forget, Sally’s Baking Addiction has a great tutorial to quickly soften butter. Ask me how I know. 😉
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Stir until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, stir flour, baking soda, and salt until mixed. Slowly add the flour mixture in batches to the butter mixture until well mixed. Remember to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add the oats and chocolate chips and stir to distribute evenly. I found this step to be hard on my mixer. So, I prefer to mix in the oats and chocolate chips by hand using a silicone spatula.
- Place rounded tablespoons of dough on the parchment-lined baking sheet. I like to lightly roll the dough between my hands to help shape them into loose balls before placing them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and your preferred cookie texture is achieved (see notes below for what I look for). Actual baking time may vary depending on your oven, location, climate, baking equipment, etc.
- Remove cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 2 to 3 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy when the cookies are still slightly warm, or cool completely and transfer to an airtight container.
Low FODMAP Serving: A serving of 1 to 2 cookies contains low FODMAP amounts of ingredients. Individual tolerance may vary. Please refer to the Monash FODMAP App or check out the “FODMAP Notes” section (above the recipe) for more information on specific ingredients.
For a crisper outside and still soft inside (my preference): I pull the cookies out of the oven when they look lightly golden brown and the centers still appear to have some give. If you gently touched it with the back of a clean spoon, it would leave an impression. The cookies will be delicate straight out of the oven but firm up further as they cool.
For a crisper cookie, continue baking until the centers appear to have little to no give. If you gently touched it with the back of a clean spoon, it would leave little to no impression. The cookies will continue to firm up as they cool.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Butter Softening Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Low FODMAP
Keywords: low FODMAP cookie, low FODMAP dessert, low FODMAP treat,