Warm up with a bowl of this 10-ingredient Low FODMAP Kale, Potato, and Sausage Soup! It features savory, homemade sausage crumbles, buttery baby potatoes, and leafy kale for a filling, veggie-packed soup.
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork // note 1
- 1½ teaspoons rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds // note 2
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups low FODMAP vegetable or chicken broth // note 3
- 1½ pounds baby potatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups chopped kale, loosely packed // note 4
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional or adjust amount to preference
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, ground pork, sage, black pepper, fennel seeds, and dried thyme. Using a meat masher, or another cooking utensil, break the ground pork into crumbles while mixing to incorporate the seasonings. Continue cooking until the sausage is browned; about 8 minutes.
- Add low FODMAP broth and diced potatoes. Increase heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium or the temperature-setting that maintains a steady simmer. Simmer until potatoes are fork-tender; about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the kale and stir. Let the soup sit until the kale has wilted slightly. Adjust the flavor of the soup with optional red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- Serve the soup warm.
Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and enjoy within 3-4 days.
Note 1: If available, 1 pound of ground pork sausage (made with low FODMAP ingredients) may be substituted for the ground pork, sage, black pepper, fennel seeds, and dried thyme.
Note 2: The fennel seeds usually soften as the pork and soup cook. If you’d prefer not to bite into a whole fennel seed, consider crushing the fennel seeds using a mortar and pestle or blitzing in a spice grinder before adding to the recipe.
Note 3: I used 2 tablespoons of Fody’s Low FODMAP Vegetable Soup Base and 6 cups water.
Note 4: I usually use curly-leaf kale and remove the stems, but these are personal preferences.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Soup, One Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Low FODMAP
Keywords: low FODMAP soup, low FODMAP one dish meal, low FODMAP pork recipe